Sunday, May 24, 2009

Culinary Experiences

As most of you know, I am what is commonly referred to as a "picky eater." The only vegetable I genuinely enjoy is lettuce. There are only about five fruits in the world that I like. Oh, and I don't like rice. So before I left for Asia, everyone was very curious about what I was going to eat. To be perfectly honest, I was also very curious.

So far, I am making an effort not to eat any American food. First of all, it's more expensive. Some of us actually almost went to Hooter's last night, but back out when we realized it's price about the same as in the US and we've already grown accustomed to $3 meals. Instead, the only American food I have had is Poptarts for breakfast, which I hope no one will fault me for as asking me to be adventurous first thing in the morning is simply a bit too much.

So without further ado, here are some of the notable foods I have had so far:

Pig's ear (kind of tastes like bacon, but the cartilege gives it a crunchy texture that is rather disgusting)
Chicken feet (no one else was willing to try these since they were still in the shape of feet, but they really weren't bad)
Duck tongue (supposedly a delicacy and actually good enough that I may get it again)
Rice water (absolutely disgusting. I was really thirsty when I had it and still couldn't force down more than two sips. It was like water mixed with sugar and butter.)
Roast pork and duck (both good and not really adventurous)
Eel jelly or maybe it was squid jelly, I don't really remember (pretty gross. It's basically black jelly that tastes terrible)
Seasoned peaches (just dried peaches, but they put a little bit of seasoning on them, hence the name)

I will keep updating the list as I try more interesting foods. So far I've realized that I'm more adventurous than other people when it comes to meat, but there are fewer non-meat dishes that I enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. Aquote from Chris: The Columbia City council is considering allowing people to raise chickens at home. By the time you return, we may have a supply of chicken feet ready for you to eat. We will gladly watch you consume this delicacy. Love, Mom. Chris, Maria (who is so jealous that you get all this amazing meat) & Ollie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't belive you're a picky eater! Having said that, I don't think I would have tried any where near what you have; I love rice!

    ReplyDelete